A Little Background
Shimla is one of the most popular hill stations in India. Shimla was declared as the summer capital of British India. After independence, the city became the capital of Panjab and later it became the capital of Himachal Pradesh.
Best time to visit Shimla
March to June: This is the best time to visit Shimla. This is also the peak season for tourists in Shimla. The temperature ranges between 16*C to 30* C. The weather is quite pleasant and perfect for outdoor activities. If you are into adventure sports then this is the ideal time to try paragliding, trekking, camping.
July to September: It is considered the offseason but a perfect time for the risk-taking tourists wanting to explore Shimla on a low budget. This is the monsoon season and temperature ranges between 13*C-20*C. during this time Shimla receives rainfall and landslides.
October to February: This is a popular season for Shimla for people who are looking for snow. This is the time for skating. The average temperature during this season is around 8°C and goes down to -2°C. Don’t forget to carry warm clothes.
How to reach Shimla
Air: The Shimla Airport, also known as Jubbarhatti airport is around 25 km away from the city, is the closest domestic airport. However, since this airport is not functional throughout the year, hence it’s advisable to choose Chandigarh or Delhi Airports.
Travelers coming from abroad can book their tickets to Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi, which is about 366km from Shimla. travelers can avail taxis, bus, or train service to reach Shimla.
Train: Kalka railway station is around 90km away from Shimla.
Recommend taking Kalka Mail, which departs at 9:30 p.m. from Delhi and you will reach Kalka at 4:35 a.m. after one hour at 5:45 a.m. toy train(Shivalik Deluxe Express) is available for Shimla. you reach Shimla at 10:35 a.m.
It’s a good option for budget travelers, travelers can save hotel fares for one night and travelers will get a full day to explore Shimla.
The next good option is Shatabdi express, which departure at 7.40 a.m. from Delhi. and you will reach Kalka at 11:45 a.m. It’s the fastest train route from Delhi to Kalka. At 12:10 p.m. you will get Toy Train the Himalayan Queen, you will reach Shimla by 5:30 p.m.
Kalka to Shimla is a narrow-gauge track and is known for its dramatic views of the hills and surrounding villages.
On 8 July 2008, UNESCO added the Kalka–Shimla railway to the mountain railways of the India World Heritage Site. Trains operate over 880 bridges, over 919 turns, and through 102 tunnels.
Bus: You have two options for buses.
First Delhi to Kalka by Bus. then Kalka to Shimla toy train.
Second Delhi to Shimla by Bus.
First talk about Delhi to Kalka by bus. Best option to take the bus after 9 p.m. from Delhi. So, you can spend a night on the bus and you can save hotel fare and you will reach 4:30 a.m. to Kalka. After that, at 5:30 a.m. you can take the toy train from Kalka. Buses will take 6-7 hr to reach Kalka.
Let’s talk about the second option: Delhi to Shimla by Bus. From Delhi take a bus for Chandighar, not Kalka. because Delhi to Chandigarh more buses are available. Then from Chandigarh, you will get many busses for Shimla.
Day by day plan
Day 0 | Starting Point Delhi
Take an overnight bus or train from Delhi to reach Shimla in the morning. Try reaching around 10-11 AM.
Day 1 | Delhi – Kalka – Shimla
- Visit Jakhoo temple. You will find a Relaxing environment. You can also enjoy a 5 mins ropeway ride from Ridge to Jakhoo. You can also enjoy a round trip ropeway ride.
- Visit Kali Bari, which is very popular in Shimla.
- Explore Ridge or the Scandal Point, Which is the most crowded place in Shimla. Also, visit Christ Church, which is the second oldest church in North India. It was constructed in 1857.
- In the evening, the capital city of Himachal looked beyond gorgeous. At that time you can go to Ridge and enjoy the view or you can explore local markets.
Exactly why Shimla’s ‘Scandal Point’ has been named so is still a mystery. got its name in the 19th century. In British India Maharaja of Patiala Bhupinder Singh fell in love with the daughter of the viceroy. It is believed that the king and viceroy’s daughter eloped from this point. Therefore, he was banned from entering Shimla. After that Maharaja Bhupinder Singh founded the new summer capital at Chail for himself. It’s known as Chail Palace.
Day 2 | Exploring Shimla
- The best option is to book a car from Shimla and get off at the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies.
- Explore Himachal birds park which is the opposite of the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies.
- Visit Rashtrapati Niwas, formerly known as Viceregal Lodge, which is around 4.5 km away from the Indian Institute of Advanced Studies.
- Explore Himachal State Museum is around 1.2 km away from the Rashtrapati Niwas.
- Visit Tara Devi Temple which is one of the most visited religious places in Shimla.
- Also, visit Sankat Mochan Hanuman Temple.
- Come back to the mall road.
Day 3 | Exploring Kufri
- The best option is to book a car as early as possible from Shimla and get off at the Amusement Park Hip Hip Hurray.
- On the way to Hip Hip Hurray, you will find Green Valley. you can spend some time here and click amazing photos.
- Visit Kufri -The winter sports capital of Shimla. In Kufri many adventure and fun sports are available. You must try them.
- Visit Kufri Zoo [closed on Tuesday].
Day 4 | Shimla – Kalka – Delhi
- Catch the toy train/Bus from Shimla towards Kalka.
- Alternatively, hire a private cab for your return.
- Catch a bus/train from Kalka to Delhi.
- Visit the Baba Bhalku rail museum. which is around 1 km away from Shimla railway station.
Where to Stay in Shimla
Hotels are easily available in Shimla.
- You can try Hotel Mayur. Its location is good.
- If you are looking for a peaceful location on the budget. Then you can try AAMAA’Z HOMESTAY but it’s around 5.5 Km away from the main city.
If you are a Chinese food lover, try out these places.
- Aunty Chinese food
- Dim Sum
You will get delicious food at a reasonable price.
Also, try out the Indian Coffee House, which was established in 1957. It is a tourist attraction in Shimla.
You can also try the Wake and Bake Cafe, they offer delicious food at a reasonable price.
Must Have Travel Accessories:–
- Rucksack option 1
- Rucksack option 2
- Neck pillow option 1
- Neck pillow option 2
- Neck pillow with eye mask option 1
- Reusable filter water bottle option 1
- Power bank option 1
- Power bank option 2
- Anti Theft Backpack with USB Charging Port option 1
Related More Amazing Travel Blogs:-
- A Complete Travel Guide To Coorg
- A Complete Travel Guide To Mysore
- A Complete Travel Guide To Delhi
- A Complete Travel Guide To Shantiniketan
- A Complete Travel Guide To Dooars
MAKE SURE TO CLEAN AND GREEN OUR NATURE.