A Little Background
Mysore is commonly known as the City of Palaces, and there are a total of 7 palaces.
According to mythology, Mysore was ruled by demon king Mahishasura, hence came the name of this place Mahisooru. The city of demon Mahisha. The demon was killed by Goddess Chamundeswari, whose temple is situated at the top of the Chamundi hills. now this place is called Mysuru(in the Kannada language).
Mysore Palace, also called Amba Vilas Palace, is one of the largest palaces in India. Situated in the state of Karnataka. The Old Palace or the Wooden Palace was destroyed in a fire in 1897.
Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his mother Maharani Kempananjammanni Devi, commissioned the British architect Henry Irwin to build a new palace.
Best time to Visit Mysore
April to July: The summer months are quite a bit sunny with the average temperature going between 22-39°C but the weather turns cool after the time of sunset. if you are planning to come at this time, don’t forget to carry sunglasses, hats, water bottles and wear light cotton.
July to September: The city receives medium to heavy rainfall. The temperature ranges from 19*C to 29* C. don’t forget to carry an umbrella and appropriate footwear.
October to March: This is the best time to visit Mysore. This is also the peak season for tourists in Mysore. The temperature ranges from 15*C to 27*C. Mysore is majorly known for its Dussehra and Navratri festival celebrations. make sure your bookings are done in advance and carry warm clothes.
How to reach Mysore
Air: The Mysore Airport, also known as Mandakalli airport is a domestic airport. The nearest International airport is the Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru.
Travelers coming from abroad can book their tickets to Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru, which is about 178km from Mysore. From Bengaluru, travelers can avail flights, bus, or train services to reach Mysore.
Train: Mysore railway station is located in the heart of the main city.
Mysore railway station has a large number of direct trains from Bangalore, it will take 2hr 30 mins to reach Mysore. Try to reach before 10 AM.
Bus: Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation(KSRTC) provides a large number of buses routed from Bengaluru. There are several private bus operators different types of buses like Private A/C, Volvo, Deluxe buses for the tourist traveling to Mysore. From Bengaluru, the bus will take 3hr to reach Mysore. Try reaching around 10 AM.
Day by day plan
Day 1 | Starting Point Bengaluru
- Take a bus or train from Bengaluru and try to reach around 10 AM and checked into your hotel/ hostel.
- Try to reach Mysore Palace at 11:00 AM. You can book an Ola or Uber auto to reach Mysore palace. Ola or Uber auto’s are easily available in Mysore. It will take a minimum of 2.5 hr to visit the palace. Photography is strictly prohibited inside the palace.
- Visit Jaganmohan Palace Art Gallery, which is around 1 km away from Mysore Palace. It will take a minimum of 1 hr to visit the palace.
- Visit St. Philomena’s Cathedral Church, which is around 3 km away from Jaganmohan Palace.
- Book a cab and get off to Brindavan Gardens, which is the quickest option to reach Brindavan Gardens. It is around 25 km away from St. Philomena’s Cathedral church. Brindavan Gardens opens till 9 PM. You can also enjoy a Musical Fountains show in Brindavan Gardens. Musical Fountains show start’s at 6:30 PM.
- From Brindavan Gardens you did not find any cabs, you have to take a bus to Mysore.
Day 2 | Exploring Mysore
- Visit Chamundi hills before the city wakes up. It’s around 13km away from the city. You can book an auto or cab to reach Chamundi hill or if you want to save money you can take a bus to Chamundi hill. Try to visit the Chamundi hills before 7:00 AM. Mysore to Chamundi hill has a very good bus service. you will find frequent buss from the Mysore bus stand.
- Visit the Mysore Sand Museum, at the time of return, you will find the Mysore Sand Museum on the way.
- Visit the World Wax Museum, which is around 1 km away from Mysore Sand Museum.
- Visit Mysore Zoo. Which is around 2.5 km away from the World Wax Museum. It will take a minimum of 3 hr to visit the Zoo.
- Visit Karanji Lake.
- Visit Funway (try Go karting), which is around 2.5 km away from Mysore zoo.
- Enjoy a light and sound show at the Mysore Palace.
Day 3 | Back to Bengaluru
- Back to Bengaluru.
Uber and Ola’s autos are easily available in Mysore. Recommended to book autos and explore Mysore.
Where to stay in Mysore
Hotels are easily available in Mysore.
- For the solo traveler, Zostel is a good option.
- If you want to stay in a palace, then you can try the Lalitha Mahal Palace Hotel
- If you are looking for some luxury, then windflower resort and spa is a good option for you.
- Dosa at Hotel Original Vinayaka Mylari
- Dosa and Filter coffee at Gayatri Tiffin Room(GTR)
- Hotel RRR for non-veg food
- Mutton pulao at Hotel Hanumanthu original 1930
- Tegu Mess for non-veg breakfast and lunch
- Mysore Pak at guru sweet mart
Related More Amazing Travel Blogs:-
- A Complete Travel Guide To Dooars
- A Complete Travel Guide To Coorg
- A Complete Travel Guide To Shimla
- A Complete Travel Guide To Delhi
- A Complete Travel Guide To Shantiniketan
MAKE SURE TO CLEAN AND GREEN OUR NATURE.