A Little Background
Coorg(Kodagu) is a small district in Karnataka. It is famous for coffee and its tradition. British ruled Kodagu from 1834, after the Coorg War, until India’s independence in 1947. in 1956 Kodagu was merged with the Mysore State (now Karnataka).
Best time to visit Coorg
March to May: Being a hill station, Coorg weather remains quite pleasant during the summer months, with the average temperature going between 15-35°C. If you are planning to come at this time, don’t forget to carry sunglasses, hats, water bottles and wear light cotton.
June to September: Coorg receives medium to heavy rainfall. The temperature ranges from 11*C to 28* C. This is a bit of an off-season but if you want to enjoy the greenery, then you must visit this time. don’t forget to carry an umbrella, raincoat, and appropriate footwear.
October to February: Winter is the best time to experience the beauty of Coorg. This is also the peak season for tourists in Coorg. The temperature ranges from 28*C to 11*C. make sure your bookings are done in advance and carry warm clothes.
How to reach Coorg
Air: Coorg does not have an airport. The nearest airport is Mangalore International Airport, which is about 143km from Coorg. Mangalore Airport is well connected to the major cities of India. From the airport, travelers can avail bus, or cab service to reach Coorg.
Train: Coorg doesn’t have any railway station. Mysore Railway Station is the nearest railway station from Coorg, which is around 117km away from Coorg.
You can also use Hassan and Mangalore railway station.
From the Mysore railway station, you can hire a cab or take a bus. there are huge numbers of buses that are available from Mysore to Coorg. make sure your bus seat bookings are done in advance. For booking check https://ksrtc.in/
Bus: Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) provides a large number of buses routed from Bengaluru, Mysore. buses will take 3hr to reach Coorg(Madikeri Bus stand) from Mysore. Try reaching around 10 AM.
Day by day plan
Day 1 | Starting Point Mysore/Bengaluru
- Try reaching around 10 AM and checked into your hotel/ hostel.
- Book a local auto for side seen, and cover
- Abby falls
- Madikeri Fort
- Omkareshwar Temple
- Raja’s Seat
- Raja Tomb
- Visit Mandalpatti. you can choose Treak or take a Jeep to reach the peak. if you have a group of people then you can book the entire Jeep or a shared Jeep is also available.
Mandalpatti is a place where you will find yourself surrounded by big clouds. You will experience a gorgeous view from the hilltop.
Don’t remove Mandalpatti from your Coorg checklist. It’s a must visit the place.
Day 2 | Exploring Coorg
- Visit Nisargadhama
- Visit Namdroling Monastery, which is around 7.7 km away from Nisargadhama. Here you can experience Tibetan architecture.
- Visit Harangi Dam , is around 15.6 km away from Namdroling Monastery.
- Visit Dubare Elephant Camp. Here you can feed the elephants, you can get down in the river to watch elephants taking bathe. boats are available to cross the river. River Rafting is also available.
This elephant camp opens at 9:00 AM and gets closed at 11:30 AM. and again opens at 4:30 PM and gets closed at 5:30 PM. these timing changes in holidays.
Book a local auto and cover all these places, will be the best option for budget travelers.
Day 3 | Back to Mysore/Bengaluru
- Back to Mysore/Bengaluru.
Where to stay in Coorg
Homestay and resorts are easily available in Coorg.
- If you are looking for some luxury tents at a good price, then you should try Coorg Adventures Tent Stay.
- If you are looking for a luxury resort, you can try Ayatana, Coorg.
- If you are looking for a homestay, you can try
- Thelma Studios Homestay(Recomandeded for budget travelers),
- Silver Flower Homestay,
- Three Hills.
- If you are looking for a treehouse, you can try Forest Valley Coorg.
- For solo travelers or budget travelers, Zostel is a good option.
- If you are searching for a tour package at a good price, then you can checkout Jollyboys
- Try Kadambuttu(Rice ball) with Pandi curry(pork) at Coorg cuisine.
- Try Kadubu with Pepper Chicken at VEERABHOOMI. you can also enjoy a cultural dance show in the evening.
- For meals and evening snacks, you can try the East End Hotel, keema masala dosa is famous here.
- You can also try, these places Barbeque Bay Restaurant, Big Cup Cafe, Raintree Restaurants
Related More Amazing Travel Blogs:-
- A Complete Travel Guide To Dooars
- A Complete Travel Guide To Mysore
- A Complete Travel Guide To Shimla
- A Complete Travel Guide to Delhi
- A Complete Travel Guide To Shantiniketan
MAKE SURE TO CLEAN AND GREEN OUR NATURE.